Tuesday, July 17, 2012

July Birchbox


Most people who know me, know I'm not a beauty expert. The most I use is concealer, eyeliner, maybe mascara, and maybe lip gloss (when I remember). So why did I join Birchbox three months ago? Because I am one of those people who would actually like to update their beauty regime but are essentially clueless when it comes to buying products. That's why I like having someone (something?) telling me what's cool or what I should try. It's also nice to try out a product before buying it, which is my biggest issue with buying beauty products. I hate to buy things without knowing if I'll like it or if it'll actually do anything for me.

So what is Birchbox, you ask? According to their website it is:
...the best way to discover new grooming, beauty and lifestyle products. Sample top products from high-end brands, get expert advice, [and] buy new favorites...
Birchbox also likes to come up with themed samples (May was Gossip Girl and June was flying/travelling) which is kind of nice instead of just random samples put in a nice box.


This is (sort of) what the box looks like when opened. The theme for July was the five senses, thanks to Glamour magazine.


Birchbox always includes a card with a list of everything inside the box and a description of each item. On the other side is usually a message from the co-founders and the Birchbox team explaining each month's theme.

Boscia Green Tea Blotting Linens // Full-size: 100 sheets/$10

I'm actually kind of excited to try these out. It's summer. It's hot. I live in a desert. I'm bound to sweat buckets for the next couple of months, so these will come in handy. They're also small enough to fit in practically any purse so they're easy to carry with you for fast touch ups.

Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner // Full-size (included): $15

My eyeliner came in olive. Not sure how I feel about the color since I hardly ever stray from black, but I love how much it feels like a marker than a liquid liner. I'm looking forward to trying this out and possibly buying this in black (unfortunately Birchbox only has olive and turquoise available in their store; black is available at Sephora though).

Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint // Full-size: $38

I'm interested in trying this. It seems like a lot of folks over at Birchbox like Jouer, so it must be worth trying. They say it's an award-winner (of what, I'm not sure), so that must mean something...right? Plus I'm always looking for new moisturizers and I've never tried a luminizing one before, so we'll see.

Oscar de la Renta LIVE in LOVE // Full-size: $25-78

Can I just say how picky I am when it comes to perfumes? There have only been one or two that I would consider ever wearing (ie. citrusy scents and the Burbury that my old roommate used to wear). This is definitely a floral scent. Not my kind of perfume but I'll at least give it a shot.

LÄRABAR über in Cherry Cobbler // Pack of 16: $27.95

I've seen these bars all the time in grocery stores but I've never actually tried them. I'm always looking for tasty yet (somewhat) healthy bars for post work-out snacks or something I can quickly snack on on my way out the door. I saw some people got a bananas foster flavor and I'm a tad jealous, although you can't go wrong with cherry cobbler (and a little ice cream...er). I like the fact that the ingredients are simple and not unpronounceable chemicals that I don't have the faintest idea what they are. They're also gluten free, non-gmo, and kosher for those of you who are curious.

Birchbox Earbuds // Not for sale

These earbuds also came in the box. They're pretty typical looking and since I lost my Skull Candy ones a while back, I've been in need of some nicer looking earbuds other than my generic Apple ones. Maybe one day I'll actually invest in a nice pair of headphones. Maybe. I also heard some people got these in pink and blue (hey, I like blue). You can also go to Glamour's website and listen to playlists that they created on Spotify.

FINAL VERDICT:

All in all, I'm very happy with this month's selection. While I would have liked to have also sampled the AHAVA Purifying Mud Mask or one of the Juliette Has a Gun scents, I can't complain. This was definitely the best box so far. Good job, Birchbox! I can't wait to see what they have in store for next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment